Well, I went 16/24. Pretty awful, really.. only slightly better than Rotten Tomatoes’ surprisingly embarrassing predictions.
In the end, I lost $3 in my Oscar pool, but I beat Brandon and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I my predictions we’re based on my personal opinions instead of polls.
- James Franco appeared to have hit the Charlie Sheen fairly hard before going on stage.. Take that for what you will. I personally got a kick out of watching his nonchalant attitude toward everything, although it made the ceremony seem less prestigious. Anne Hathaway.. meh.
- Where were all the stars? No Pacino? No DeNiro? NO JACK NICHOLSON?! He’s always front and center. We didn’t even get Brad and Angelina. WTF? Where was everyone?!
- I was digging the opener, but I have a little issue with leaving out several Best Picture nominees then randomly plugging in Back to the Future. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Back to the Future, but I had no idea why it was included. Hmm..
- Kirk Douglas – Adorable, witty old man or senile?
- For a guy who was in nothing at all this year, Hugh Jackman sure got a lot of recognition.
- While I understand why they took out a lot of the special performances and presenter banter, I missed it. Of course, I’m one of those people who watch the Academy Awards because I like the movies and appreciate the movie nerd stuff, not for the celebrities in pretty clothes.
- I like Justin Timberlake. Yep. After the Banksy joke that went over 90% of viewers heads, I now admit my affection for him without shame. That was funny stuff. If you don’t get it, watch Exit Through the Gift Shop.
- The auto-tune movies was kinda funny.. A little cheap, but still entertaining. I appreciated the mocking of Twilight.
- I live tweeted for the first time ever during any major pop culture event. It was kinda fun. Tweet of the night goes to Rotten Tomatoes:
“No big explanation of editing this year. It must have been… *putting on shades* cut out. (YEEEAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!)”
- Also in tweet news, James Franco real time tweeted all night. Interesting. Check it out.
- Joke of the night goes to James Franco for the inappropriate movie titles line – “Winter’s Bone. The Rabbit Hole. How to Train Your Dragon.. That’s disgusting.”
- Robert Downey Jr. is the one guy I always look forward to seeing at award shows. Not just because he’s so incredibly attractive, but because he’s hilarious. Someone please hire this guy to host the Oscar’s next year.
Oscar winner rating: 8/10
Oscar ceremony rating: 6/10