I could start off with the whole, ” I can’t believe it’s almost 2012!” thing, but in reality, it’s just not true. 2011 felt appropriately long for me.. not in a bad way. I guess it’s just safe to say that I’m satisfied with what I accomplished in my 28th year of life. I wish I could say that of all the 27 years before it.
What was so great about 2011? Let’s review, shall we?
Top 3 movies I saw:
2. The Muppets
3. The Skin I Live In
Bottom 3 movies I saw:
1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1
3. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
Best TV episode: Breaking Bad “Crawl Space”
Most disappointing TV episode: Dexter “Nebraska”
Top 3 local discoveries:
1. Chief Drive-In Theater (Choctaw, OK) – They’re open year round, show two movies a weekend and, of course, have delicious, greasy drive-in fried burritos.
2. Cafe de Taipei (Edmond, OK) – I fought it as long as I could, but sushi is delicious. Cafe de Taipei is open until 1AM and has great sushi and drinks at affordable prices. Plus, if you order the same thing every Tuesday for about six months, you won’t even have to phone in your order anymore.
3. All About Cha (Edmond, OK) – I love that they’re open late, but really they made the list for having the best iced hot chocolate ever.. and I don’t even like chocolate. It’s that good.
Bragging rights for 2011:
I saw Al Pacino perform two monologues and hear him talk about his life up close and personal.
I met NFL legend Emmitt Smith.. and made a complete fool of myself.
This post got chosen for Freshly Pressed on WordPress.
Top 3 road trips:
1. Drumright for tasty steak and Evil Dead: The Musical. Then to Tulsa for the midnight showing of Susperia.
2. Tulsa to The Circle for their annual slumber party. This year’s theme – REVENGE! (PS: Young Tommy Lee Jones was hot. Fact.)
3. Wichita, KS for dinner and Young Frankenstein: The Musical.
Other things worth noting:
91 Online celebrated its first (and 28th) anniversary. I don’t think people grasp what a big accomplishment that is.
I finally changed day jobs after two years. So far things are going splendidly! I also picked up a job pulling research for the Air 1 Top 10 Weekend and another one DJing at our classic rock station, KRXO, every other Sunday. So, if you’re keeping track, that puts my current job count at five. Yes, five.
So what does 2012 hold? Your guess is as good as mine. I’m doubting it’ll be the end of the world. After all, we have to see what happens with Marty McFly and Biff in 3 years, so I think we’re safe until then.
As far as my life is concerned, here are a few resolutions:
1. Lose 30 – 50 more lbs.
I say 30 – 50 because after I lose 10 more, I’ll be approaching a weight I haven’t seen since junior high. I may look anorexic if I lose 50 more. I’ll stop at a weight that suits my frame, but I guarantee that it’s at least 30 lbs away.
2. Grow 91 Online.
There is so much to be done and so little extra time to do it in, but I commit to getting 91 closer to the vision we have set for it.
3. Write more.
Since writing has become a job, I’ve found my drive to write creatively is dwindling. I’d really like to make GrabBagOK into something big. I’d also like to revamp and complete my Top 50 TV Characters of All-Time list here at The Poncho. It’s a much bigger task than you’d think.
4. Take a vacation.
I take a lot of mini-road trips. It’s how I keep my sanity. I’ll run up to Tulsa or down to Dallas for an afternoon, but with 5 jobs it’s hard to take a week and get away. I’d love to see my cousins in Oregon or check out the beach with Jessi.. visit a place that involves crossing more than one state line.
5. Love people.
I don’t necessarily mean fall in love (although I’m okay with that too), I mean show love to others more. Giving love is free and there are so many hurting people in this world. I may not know much about what my future holds, but I do know that I have a gift of caring for the broken. It’s time to embrace that calling.
I hope 2012 brings you new joy and happiness. And that even in bad times, you can learn from it and grow.